guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 07:11:32 +0200

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 06:31:40PM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I would prefer if we just passed "nomodeset" to the Linux kernel in the
> installer image (in the installer image only) in order to disable all those
> funny drivers in the first place.
>
> Then, grub would use vesa in order to initialize graphics - which should have
> seen testing for... forever... years.
>
> We could use "set gfxmode=..." in grub in order to set a specific graphics
> mode.
>
> (The Linux kernel module is called uvesafb--but it should be picked up
> automatically)
>
> (Use "vbeinfo" in the grub prompt in order to find out whether it's using
> VESA)
>
> I don't think it's wise to complicate bootup when we could just use vesa.
> There's nothing wrong with it as far as I know...

Not using KMScon would prevent support for the Chinese and Japanese
language during install, would it not?

Currently there is no support because

· the Chinese and Japanese locales are not added to the installer, it
  only includes glibc-utf8-locales,

· there is no translated PO file for the installer yet anyway,

but otherwise it would work, would it not?

However, this means in particular that

· when using KMScon, the installer should change the locale that gets
  used once it is selected,

· when using mingetty, the locale should only be changed for languages
  other than Chinese and Japanese,

· the console font should be changed to match the locale similar to
  console-setup on Debian.

Maybe some of this is already supported, I don’t know.

Regards,
Florian