Re: [Help-smalltalk] misc problems

From: Arjen van Elteren
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] misc problems
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:47:21 +0100 (BST)

Thanx for the quick reply!

> All fixed.
Great i couldn't figure out different signals myself
(when  SIGPOLL is set SIGIO handler is not set but
then the ioctl for SIGPOLL failes etc. etc., i could
not find any meaningfull docu )

> readable/wri
> > The other thing is in the buffering in FileStream.
>
> Buggy in 1.96, fixed now.

Great

> > I was
> > playing with the writeEnd and writePtr and I have
> not
> > figured out why writeEnd is used.
>
> To flush the write buffer: say you read 2000 bytes
> in
> the buffer and rewrite bytes 1000 to 1500.  Then
> writePtr
> is 1000 and writeEnd is 1500, and basicFlush will:
> - save the position
> - go to 1000
> - write 500 bytes
> - restore the position

I know, but writeEnd is always (Ptr - 1) !

> > The new version is more stable when it comes to
> > call-in/out (i cannot get my library to work under
> > version 1.95.4). In both function the call
> > cObjectFromTypedOOP seems to be missing (it is
> > available in callin.c), is this function suspect?.
>
> No, just forgotten :-)

Ok

> Thanks for the feedback, 1.96.1 is on the way!

Great.... but one other thing.

Sometimes gnu smalltalk gets stuck when quiting... I
traced this down to
FileDescr>>update:
where all files are closed even if they are already
closed. GST cannot show the "file already closed"
error as the output pipes have been closed before (as
to what happens then I do not know, i see al kinds of
functions passing by in gdb).

It is easily solved by checking isOpen before calling
close(and probably already is solved by now, but you
never know!).

Arjen