blox and curses, was Re: [Help-smalltalk] st-mode.el optional hilit19

From: clemens fischer
Subject: blox and curses, was Re: [Help-smalltalk] st-mode.el optional hilit19
Date: 13 Jul 2002 21:04:13 +0200

> Markus Fritsche:

> What would be the way to build a ncurses base for blox (without mouse
> support - afaik mouse support means polling in ncurses)? Which atomic
> functions will be used? I would be thankful for some hints and pointers!

as far as i understood blox we have windows for a class hierarchy, the
definition of a class and for the values of an instance.

the hierarchy shows nesting depicted by indentation and propably
connections made by simple ascii chars from [+-|].

the definition window and the one for the values contain text.

there's no need for the mouse, because switching between windows is done by
TAB and highlighting something by the arrows, pageup and -down.  selection
is done by carriage-return.

the curses libraries contain the widgets needed for this, i think.  the
person knowing propably most about this is thomas dickey (xterm, vile,
curses and more :).

are you thinking of giving it a try?  i hesitate to offer help, because i'm
a complete newbie in OO and cannot easily afford a few hundred euros for
the books i'd need to get up to speed.  moreover my personal preference
lies more with ruby, but that's only because i have more trust in its
applicability for "real problems".  but this statement alone should tell
you about my lack of skills.  on the other hand i've been a coder for years

clemens fischer