Re: [Help-smalltalk] Loading packages into private image

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Loading packages into private image
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:57:39 +0200

> Untested: How about starting
> gst -i ~/gst.im
> and then do
> PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'TCP'!
> ?

Heh, this is embarresing.

It's -I, not -i. That exaplins the segfaults I've been getting too... I
don't know if it should be considered a bug that it crashes when trying
to execute the image as if it were Smalltalk code :)

Anyways. If I put myself in /usr/share/smalltalk and do:

   prometheus:/usr/share/smalltalk$ gst -iQ -I ~/gst.im Load.st -a TCP

I get:

   gst: Couldn't open file /usr/share/smalltalk/gst.im

(followed by the package loading procedure).

If I first rebuild my image in ~ and then go to /usr/share/smalltalk and
just do:

   gst -Q -I ~/gst.im  Load.st  -a TCP

I get:

   Object: FileStream error: could not open /home/scode/packages

*tries the same with with 2.0.3*

Hmm. I don't seem to be able to create an image with 2.0 at all. Even if
I do "/usr/local/gst/bin/gst -i -I gst.im" and execute "ObjectMemory
snapshot!", gst.im is not created. Based on a strace, it only opens

   /usr/local/gst/share/smalltalk/gst.im

which I am assuming is the compiled-in path to the system default image
file. The question is, why isn't -I effective?

The former tests where done with 1.95.13a (Debian package), the 2.0.3 is
a version I compiled.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden
E-Mail: address@hidden Web: http://www.scode.org