Re: [Help-smalltalk] Various bits to do with Gtk bindings

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Various bits to do with Gtk bindings
Date: 17 Dec 2003 09:15:13 +0000

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 14:15, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> The patches are all fine, thanks.

erm, except that I messed them up, as I discovered when changing the
examples <:-I. I also missed out the ST declarations corresponding to
the revised signal functions. Here are correct patches (hopefully).

Also, while doing the conversion, I had second thoughts about changing
the method signatures. To be sure, it makes some of them make more
sense, but it makes some of them worse, like
Object >> #setPropertyPropertyName:value:, and it reduces the symmetry
with Gtk somewhat. I'm now favoring just making convenience methods for
the awkward names (or just living with them). Apologies for being a
pain.

> >(3)
> >I've been having difficulties with trees - the fact that GtkTreeModel
> >and GtkTreeStore map to unrelated classes makes using them difficult,
> >since GtkTreeModel holds the reading methods and GtkTreeStore the
> >writing ones. Is there any problem with making GtkTreeModel the parent
> >of GtkTreeStore and GtkListStore?
> >
> I don't know, it is a problem in general with multiple inheritance.

The same situation comes up with GdkWindow and GdkWindowObject in the
eventbox example. Using
GdkWindowObject superclass: GdkWindow.
seems to work OK. There shouldn't be any knock-ons on memory
(de)allocation, should there - the ST inheritance tree isn't (can't be)
reflected on the C side, can it?

Mike