Re: [Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST

From: Eli Green
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] User interface of VisualGST
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:52:14 +0200

On Oct 14, 2009, at 19:12, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

- For the window yes I had the same ideas in fact changing is not really
the ui is not really the problem everything is widget in VisualGST
I can plug everything in VisualGST without a "big" refactoring.

That's great to hear (what about the toolbar though?  Can it change
dynamically?).

I think this is frowned upon in UI circles... maybe something like a sidebar would be a good idea

What would you put in the sidebar? It's just a bunch of icons, nothing like the history or bookmarks of Firefox. Seriously, I wouldn't bother too much.

Also, in the browser it's the horizontal space that is at a premium.

I wasn't suggesting putting the buttons there, I would put the actual tools. For example, the "Search for Senders" tool is really just a text entry widget and two lists: a list of matching messages and a list of classes/methods that send the selected message. Well, instead of two lists, the text entry box could be an auto-complete widget that lets you pick the message. After the message is selected, the senders could be displayed in the list.

This whole setup could easily fit in a panel in a sidebar.