Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST

From: Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:52:41 +0100

On Domingo, 20 de Marzo de 2011 10:01:20 Gwenael Casaccio escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have your opinion about a possible change
> on VisualGST UI, there is a guy (that is working on an IDE)
> that send a nice comment: there are too much widgets on the screen.
> That's true and this is something I've in mind for such
> a time but yesterday I've hacked a bit VisualGST
> and made a simple prototype (this is just a "new" widget):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4s6niwZEw
>
> or you can try the browserWidget branch on VisualGST git
>
> Now I want to merge the transcript (should be replaced by
> a kind of log tool), the workspace and the source widget. They are not
> exactly the same but share same functionalities the user can
> evaluate/inspect/debug but the major difference I want to introduce is
> the idea of "scope" inside a Namespace the source widget will work like
> a normal workspace inside a class too but inside a method. The idea of
> scoping could be reuse with the sender/implementor tools the searching
> could be scoped inside a namespace/class/...
>
> I could reuse extra free space with a right pane that display meta
> information of the scope: namespace or package (package info, ...),
> history, bug report, changes, code critic, ...
>
> Any comments suggestions are welcome ;-)

There are a lot of widgets true, but this is usefull in Smalltalt, not in
other languages perhaps.

In smalltalk is very usefull to change fast between namespaces/categories
objects, protocols and messages, having more than 2 or 3 browsers opened.
Probably, there is a way to show all this information better than the actual,
but I think, trimming the windows is not the best way to go IMHO.

The guy who commented, probably comes from other language, where this type of
working doesn't have sense.

The best smalltalk UI I saw was Dolphin[1], probably you can take ideas from
it.

If you don't know it, you can check it in action in this series of videos [1]

[1] http://www.object-
arts.com/support/videos_files/21163c4401ba2928d4e0c1ca319c04c7-1.html