Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] VisualGST
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:42:21 +0100

On 03/20/2011 11:52 AM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
On Domingo, 20 de Marzo de 2011 10:01:20 Gwenael Casaccio escribió:
Hi,

I would like to have your opinion about a possible change
on VisualGST UI, there is a guy (that is working on an IDE)
that send a nice comment: there are too much widgets on the screen.
That's true and this is something I've in mind for such
a time but yesterday I've hacked a bit VisualGST
and made a simple prototype (this is just a "new" widget):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4s6niwZEw

or you can try the browserWidget branch on VisualGST git

Now I want to merge the transcript (should be replaced by
a kind of log tool), the workspace and the source widget. They are not
exactly the same but share same functionalities the user can
evaluate/inspect/debug but the major difference I want to introduce is
the idea of "scope" inside a Namespace the source widget will work like
a normal workspace inside a class too but inside a method. The idea of
scoping could be reuse with the sender/implementor tools the searching
could be scoped inside a namespace/class/...

I could reuse extra free space with a right pane that display meta
information of the scope: namespace or package (package info, ...),
history, bug report, changes, code critic, ...

Any comments suggestions are welcome ;-)

There are a lot of widgets true, but this is usefull in Smalltalt, not in
other languages perhaps.

In smalltalk is very usefull to change fast between namespaces/categories
objects, protocols and messages, having more than 2 or 3 browsers opened.
Probably, there is a way to show all this information better than the actual,
but I think, trimming the windows is not the best way to go IMHO.

The guy who commented, probably comes from other language, where this type of
working doesn't have sense.

The best smalltalk UI I saw was Dolphin[1], probably you can take ideas from
it.

If you don't know it, you can check it in action in this series of videos [1]

[1] http://www.object-
arts.com/support/videos_files/21163c4401ba2928d4e0c1ca319c04c7-1.html