Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:22:17 +0000

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 09:42:28AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > What we envisionned, instead, was to provide with the HTML customization
> > API to do the kind of modifications you want to do.  I can imagine a
> > number of reasons why this solution is not that attractive for your use
> > case, for instance it does not allow to be compatible with a wide range
> > of makeinfo releases, may not be that stable, is in Perl, and could
> > require important work.  Still, maybe you could consider using that
> > possibility in the future if you face incompatible changes again.
>
> I think the main reason this solution is not used is that it is still
> a kind of "black magic" for almost everyone, definitely for me
> personally.  The relevant sections of the Texinfo manual are basically
> a very terse man-page style reference of options in alphabetical
> order, without any kind of tutorial or general explanations or
> examples (without which it is hard to even understand some of the
> customization variables unless one is an HTML expert).  This is very
> unlike the other sections of the manual, which invariably provide
> detailed background explanations for each group of commands, describe
> the recommended practices, and provide a lot of examples.  I write
> Texinfo manuals for 20 years, and still consult the Texinfo manual all
> the time, always finding valuable information in it in the sections
> that describe the Texinfo language and how to use them in a
> well-written manual.
>
> With better documentation, it is quite possible that we could consider
> switching most, if not all, of the code in admin.el to using the
> texi2any customization capabilities -- provided again that those
> customization variables can be relied upon to be stable enough,
> without fearing they will be completely redesigned at some future
> time.

It is probably better to use customization with options and variables
("data driven") than customization based on writing code that hooks into the
internals ("code driven"), if the former is possible to achieve.  This
is simpler and easier to understand.

For example, I looked at the mentioned code at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/admin.el
(the manual-html-fix-* functions) and it is not instantly apparent what
all of the code is supposed to achieve.

Hence, it would be better to try to understand what the Emacs distribution
code is doing to the HTML output and if customization variables and/or
the default output could support this.

The code driven customization is more coupled to internals that
could change, although in theory is more powerful.