Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:48:39 +0200

> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:13:35 +0100
> From: pertusus@free.fr
> Cc: gavinsmith0123@gmail.com, arsen@aarsen.me, help-texinfo@gnu.org
>
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 04:49:11PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Here are my interrogations.  First I have three questions about removed
> > > HTML in the that look suspicious to me.  I think that it should be
> > > checked if this is intended, my wild guess is that it is not:
> > > 1) the Copyright notice in comments at the very beginning is removed.
> >
> > Is it important?
>
> I think so, it is purposely done that way, I believe, and matches with
> the '(maintain)Copyright Notices' node information:

The copyright is stated elsewhere anyway, so this is not relevant.

> > > 2) the <link href=... rel=... > in <head> are removed, for example
> > >   <link href="#Top" rel="start" title="top">
> > >   <link href="#Starting-Rules" rel="next" title="Starting Rules">
> >
> > Look at how the produced HTML looks vs the one on the site: those
> > links are the "Short TOC", which is completely redundant for reading
> > the manual on-line.
>
> I do not understand that response.  Those links are usually not directly
> visible, they are not links appearing directly in the document text,
> they are informations on the page that can be used or not by the
> browsers:

Then maybe I don't understand what we are talking about.

> > > The other main interrogation is about the manual-html-fix-index-1,
> > > manual-html-fix-index-2 defun and closing </div> code in manual-html-mono
> > > manual-html-node.  Most of these codes seems to do nothing nowadays,
> > > except for one thing, adding, right after <body ...> an
> > > and adding matching </div>.  The matching </div> is at the very end of the
> > > file for the mono manual, and right before the table of contents
> > > in the node split index.html file.  It is not clear to me what this div
> > > is used for.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't know.
>
> Can it be omitted?

I don't want to make changes whose meaning I don't understand.  I
trust people who came before me and wrote this code that they were
solving real problems.  As long as the results are not obviously
incorrect, I'd rather not change this.