Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: pertusus
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:27:11 +0100

On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 01:04:35PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 05:48:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:13:35 +0100
> > > From: pertusus@free.fr
> > > Cc: gavinsmith0123@gmail.com, arsen@aarsen.me, help-texinfo@gnu.org

> > > I think so, it is purposely done that way, I believe, and matches with
> > > the '(maintain)Copyright Notices' node information:
> >
> > The copyright is stated elsewhere anyway, so this is not relevant.
>
> It would be easy enough to add a customization variable to omit the
> copyright notice but I don't know if it is worth it.
>
> The code that appears to strip the comment out is very short and probably
> not the main source of complexity in the Emacs Lisp program:
>
>     (unless texi5
>       (search-forward "<!--")
>       (goto-char (match-beginning 0))
>       (delete-region opoint (point))
>       (search-forward "<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Style")
>       (setq opoint (match-beginning 0)))

I am not sure that it is that code, as texi5 is defined by, I believe

  let ((texi5 (search-forward "<!DOCTYPE" nil t))
        opoint)

So it should be set as there is a "<!DOCTYPE" in recent Texinfo
releases.  I think that the code you flagged out was there to remove the
CSS or something along for makeinfo <= 4.

My feeling is that the removal of the Copyright comment is
inentended, as it is left in HTML files split by node.  I believe it is
rather because of the following that deletes everything between the
first meta, which should be
and <title>:

    (search-forward "<title>")
    (delete-region opoint (match-beginning 0))
    (search-forward "</title>\n")

But it is more a wild guess.

--
Pat