libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] april meetup?

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] april meetup?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 16:57:20 -0400

On Tuesday, April 07 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> On 07/04/15 01:55 AM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>> I would like to extend to everyone in LibrePlanet an invitation to any
>> Ubuntu Release Parties.
>>

> Thanks, Bob!

Thanks, Bob, part 2!

>> Even though Ubuntu does not qualify as an FSF Free OS, you'll find
>> that the people who come to the Ubuntu events are open-minded, with
>> many embracing the Free Software philosophy.  Others are there because
>> Ubuntu is their first exposure to non-proprietary software, and come
>> for the guidance and expertise of others.  If there are knowledgeable
>> and experienced people there to explain the principles and benefits of
>> Free Software, that's all for the good. [...]
>>

> I'd agree with this. Even though Canonical isn't necessarily trustworthy on
> free
> software, the Ubuntu community still has many people who are supportive of or
> open to free software. I think it's not so much the Canonical / Ubuntu project
> position but the local community that makes the local release parties relevant
> and appropriate for us.

I am certainly not going there because of Ubuntu, and specially not
because of Canonical!  You hit the nail here: the only reason I'm going
is because I want to see the people present in the event, and eventually
talk about Trisquel GNU/Linux to them (who knows!).

> That said though, an Ubuntu Release Party would be a good chance to get
> together
> and meet other GNU/Linux users who might be open to LibrePlanet, but not
> necessarily a good chance to talk LibrePlanet ON specifically. But maybe the
> easiest thing for April is to just get together at the Ubuntu Release Party,
> and
> set up a more LibrePlanet-specific meetup for May? I'm not sure that there's
> anything that can't wait until May anyways.

You know, I've been thinking about our approach lately...

We've had the meetup with GTALUG, and then the meetup with Matt Lee.  I
was present in both, but I left them with the strong feeling that I
could have done better.  In fact, I think I did not do almost anything
to raise awareness of our group in both meetings!!!!  I know I still
have to improve my communication skills here, not only because of the
foreign language but also (and perhaps *mainly*) because the way
Canadians meet is very different from the way Brazilians meet :-).
However, I also think that it is pretty hard to start a conversation
about Free Software *because* it is pretty hard to find someone who is
willing to do that...

This may be only my impression, and I recognize here that a big part of
what I'm feeling has to do with myself and my adaptation here, but maybe
we could discuss this next time we meet?

Having said that, I agree that, for April, it would make sense to just
go to the Ubuntu Release Party.  Let's try to arrange some meetup "just
for us" on May, as you said.

> I may be able to attend (a bit later in the evening though), but I won't know
> for sure until we get a bit closer. I'll register if it looks like I'll be
> able
> to make it!

Congratulations, and good luck for you and your wife btw!

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36