Re: System spacing for Certain

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: System spacing for Certain
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 19:23:40 -0800

On 2019-01-16 5:24 pm, Reggie wrote:
First, are you saying that every time I want to manually adjust one staff in a system in one instance I must create a new voice just to hack this? Like
you did? What about my original code itself used?

You do not need the extra voice. I did that simply because the advice in the notation reference is sound to follow. One should try to keep matters of presentation (such as spacing) completely separate from the musical content. It can muddy a score to have things like that messy \overrideProperty stuck in the middle of notes. Additionally, it makes it much harder to reuse musical content in different contexts without resorting to tags.

That all said, you can easily apply the \verticalSpacer to a musical note in your staff rather than on a spacer in a separate voice.

Second, you mention that
it's relative from PRIOR staff right? What if I want to move the top staff
of a system up or down only for example as such?

Technically, alignment-distances specifies the values *between* the staves, so it doesn't affect space before the first or after the last. In that case, you'd probably have to use something like extra-offset to shift the entire system upwards or downwards, which is basically what shifting the first staff would mean.

If we're talking about the placeholder markup, simply use ^\verticalSpacer so the markup appears above the staff in question. This would work on a first staff of a system and force it to appear further down on the paper.

-- Aaron Hill