Re: Emacs lilypond mode formatting and indenting

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Emacs lilypond mode formatting and indenting
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 19:27:59 -0600

On Sun 27 Jan 2019 at 11:58:30 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Frescobaldi has a great formatting function that indents all the code very
> nicely and nearly flawlessly.
>
> But since an upgrade to Debian 9 and as the complexity of my current score
> increases, F. has slowed down to a molasses like rate and has sadly become
> unusable. [I have never seen that before until now.] Consequently I have
> returned to Emacs, as a long term Emacs user anyway. The PDF point and
> click with Emacs all works splendidly on Debian 9, and everything is
> lightning quick.
>
> The indenting in the current lilypond mode is to put it politely, less than
> optimal. My question is, can the lilypond-mode reformat and entire buffer
> like F. does?

Probably not the fastest way, but I

. move to BOT                   to see how many lines, say, 1234
. move to TOP                   start at the top
. ^X ( ^I ^N ^X )               define a macro that runs <TAB> <DOWN>
. ESC 1234 ^PgDn                run the last-defined macro 1234 times

to reindent (not reformat).

Cheers,
David.