Re: Frescobaldi slowed down [WAS: Re: Emacs lilypond mode formatting and

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi slowed down [WAS: Re: Emacs lilypond mode formatting and indenting]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:50:42 +0100

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Federico,
>
> Thanks for the input. Current score is only ten pages of string quartet
> music. Complex yes, but not vast. It suddenly stated after a Debian 9
> update.
>
> I love Frescobaldi, but the very sluggish response now of the text editor
> is unusable, and I have had to abandon it for Emacs. Emacs is great, but
> the indentation is abysmal, and just messes up really quickly. Caught
> between two unsatisfactory worlds now. I think I am going to have to take
> on the monumental task or rewriting from scratch the lilypond mode
> indenting and formatting engine. If I can achieve anything in that area, it
> may be a good side effect of this Frescobaldi problem.

There are definitely users of Emacs and LilyPond who would not switch to
Frescobaldi anyway.  If you can improve Emacs in that area, it will be
appreciated whether or not the result turns out good enough to make
current Frescobaldi users switch (and it seems that whatever usability
issue causing a slowdown like that may be around, offering an option for
switching it off would seem more welcome like a wholesale switch to
most).

--
David Kastrup