Re: postscript printers for lilypond

From: karl
Subject: Re: postscript printers for lilypond
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:48:52 +0100 (CET)

Andrew:
> Spaeking as a former IT Consultant, the first thing one generally needs to
> know before being able to help a client is your projected budget. Otherwise
> it's hard to know if you want a Heidelberg press or a desktop inkjet. Let
> us know.

I'd be fine for a printer in the 1000-2000 EUR price class.
My last printer was the Kyocera and it cost 2500-3000EUR.

> I am unable to understand why you need to print PostScript direct. Can you
> elaborate? The entire professional graphic arts and print industry uses
> PDF. Adobe InDesign that I use for books has a variety of varying quality
> PDF outputs, up to very high quality print. It's not usual to output
> PostScript any more (in fact, I cant even find it in the menus).
> Furthermore PDF is PostScript internally. not some different printer
> language like the old HP printers used etc.
>
> Can you elaborate more so we can understand what it is exactly that you are
> doing?

I think that have been discussed elsewhere before.

Let's say I like postscript, I do some programming in it from time to
time, I like the results I get with it, and I'm kind of tired of
converting what I have just because the printer is too stupid to
understand it. If possible I require all printers I buy to have
postscript, the exception is large format inkjets.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148