lout-users

Re: Extra space after punctuation marks

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: Extra space after punctuation marks
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 15:52:26 -0500 (EST)

[ On Wed, January 17, 1996 at 13:59:39 (GMT), Franck Arnaud wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Extra space after punctuation marks
>
> It may be a convention for typewritten material. The typography of
> books or newspapers is not decided by typists or computer
> users though.

But we're not really talking about typography.  We're considering the
treatment of whitespace in input text, and how Lout might identify
sentence breaks in the input stream.  I'll certainly bend to the wishes
of modern typographers when it comes to how to produce the typeset
output, but I definitely want Lout to treat any amount of whitespace in
address@hidden text as if it were a single amount of whitespace.  If it
also is necessary for Lout to identify the sentence breaks, then I'll
continue to suggest the use (in the input stream) of a punctuation
character followed by either two space characters, or zero or more space
characters and a newline.

> > It seems to me this practice of dropping the extra (wide) space between
> > sentences is a recent thing (since the mid-80's),
>
> It was much earlier (thirties?) according to my reading (and lousy
> memory).

Well I'm not that old!  ;-)

My typing class would have been taken in about 1979, and I was taught a
text book that couldn't have been any older than about 1960.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734                 VE3TCP                  robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>; Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>