lout-users

Re: Virtual fonts

From: Matej Cepl
Subject: Re: Virtual fonts
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 22:20:51 +0200

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:00:53 +0200  Tamas Papp wrote:

> This is the main reason for me. Actually, it's two characters: o
> and u with double acute, and the respective capital letters. There
> are very few _FREE_ latin-2 fonts around, and they are quite easy
> to hack together. I guess that many languages have similar
> problems.

[...]

> Any further comments from interested parties?

There seems to me three ways, how to deal with ISO 8859-2
characters in Lout. All are working with unequal results with my
current setup (RedHat Linux 6.0 CZ, Lout 3.20, Lout2-latin2 from
jeff's site, Aladdin Ghostscript 6.01, Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0).

1) Do nothing. It seems to me, that using @InitialFont { TimesCE
Base 12p }, lout creates PostScript which I had been able to view
and print with GhostScript. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with
smaller characters (e.g., text in footnotes is screwed up -- probably
AFM files from Jeff are not well prepared on Latin2) and it doesn't
work at all with PDF (ps2pdf produces PDF with Type3 fonts which is
ugly in Acrobat Reader). This does not work with fonts from Aladdin
GhostScript 5.50 (which I have still in Linux; certainly it doesn't work
with GS 4.* on my Win 3.11 notebook).

2) Download my yal2f-0.9.zip fonts (on
http://www.volny.cz/cepls/ps-pdf/yal2f-0.9.zip ). These are the last
incarnation of famous Peter Soos' remodellation of Windows
TrueType fonts, so that they contain all ISO 8859-2 characters and
some other usefull characters. Included in my package is
TimesNewRoman, Arial and CourierNew fonts. Concerning
characters mentioned by you, there is this in TimesNewRoman-
Medium file

C 213 ; WX 652 ; N Odoubleacute ; B 32 -14 618 792 ;
C 219 ; WX 652 ; N Udoubleacute ; B 5 -14 642 792 ;
C 245 ; WX 452 ; N odoubleacute ; B 31 -13 420 613 ;
C 251 ; WX 452 ; N udoubleacute ; B 1 -13 451 613 ;

I have included a lot (1777) kerning pairs created by a2ac program
(available on http://math.feld.cvut.cz/olsak -- page has Czech as
English references to particular resources; if you want some
introduction to Type1 mysteries check this package as well as
t1accent by the same author; both have incredibly interesting and
well written documentation both in Czech as well as in English).

BTW, if someone on the list would be so kind and checked these
fonts (it is a first draft and there are still some problems pending --
see below), I would be very gratefull. Also, if somebody with more
adequate tools than my t1utils & EMACS checked whether
everything is OK (or, better to say, whether there are some other
problems than indicated below), it would be great help.

These fonts are not great, however, they seem to be working and I
have been to created PDF file (via gswin32 6.01) with them. Now, it
is for me the best usefull solution (works even on Win 3.11 with the
last 16-bit GhostScript).

3) I am not sure, whether it would not be possible to persuade
some fonts distributed with TeX (there are for example cs fonts
distributed as part of CSTeX, which is package for support of Czech
in TeX; these fonts are localization of original cm fonts by D. Knuth
created by change of the Metafont sources). Unfortunately, it seems
to me that encoding vector of TeX's fonts (based on original one of
Don Knuth's cs fonts) is so strange, that its change would be
inadequate (/space missing ?!), especially in view of the last option.

4) There seems to be huge step forward in URW fonts distributed
with Aladdin GhostScript 6.01. They seem to contain all Latin-2
characters. It seems to me, that copying .AFM files distributed with
GhostScript to lout's fonts/ directory and (possibly) some tweaking
of .LCM files (I propose the name GSLatin2.LCM), should do the
thing.

Looking through AFM file with following header, I have found the
characters you mentioned with following names (there are no
composites defined in AFM file, so it seems to me, that actual should
be in .pfb files):

Comment Creation Date: 12/22/1999
FullName Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular
Version 1.05
Notice (URW)++,Copyright 1999 by (URW)++ Design & Development

C -1 ; WX 722 ; N Ohungarumlaut ; B 34 -14 688 890 ;
C -1 ; WX 722 ; N Uhungarumlaut ; B 14 -14 705 890 ;
C -1 ; WX 500 ; N ohungarumlaut ; B 29 -10 470 678 ;
C -1 ; WX 500 ; N uhungarumlaut ; B 9 -10 479 678 ;

However, I have not tested this method (having not installed new
fonts in Linux yet), but I do not know, why it could not work. Any
comments from the list?

            Have a nice day

                                Matej

Concerning my yal2f-0.9 fonts I have got these comments from
some reader of Czech TeX list (I have no time to deal with them and
with small exceptions neither clue how to do it).

- problems with quotes (especially /quoteleft is incorrect)

- missing lcaron in CourierNew-Medium font

- not equal height among individual families of fonts

- glyphs are not named according to WGL4.0 (I have no idea,
  what's that)

- missing /euro (however, I think, that Lout makes Euro character
  programatically, so it doesn't matter, does it?)

- tags Notice, Version and ItalicAngle are not updated

- there are some kerning pairs in AFM fonts for glyphs which are
  not included in pfb fonts (does it matter?)

- some correction done via following sed script

  mkdir -p newdir
  for ii in *.afm; do
    sed
's/^Em/CapHeight/;s/^Descent/Descender/;s/^Ascent/Ascender/' \
      $ii > newdir/$ii
  done

  I have no idea, what is CapHeight, Descender or Ascender

- wrong quoteleft (should not it be like half of quotedblleft?)