lout-users

Re: On a programming manual for Lout

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Re: On a programming manual for Lout
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:56:37 +0100

On Fri Jul 13, 2001  3:45 pm Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> Well, I think that while mailing list archive are somewhat indicative,
> they are not really a good starting point for a programming manual.
> They could augment it quite nicely, though.

Hi Uwe

I agree it is far from ideal but I can't think of another way to find the
concepts etc. which cause most confusion -- plus they are littered
with yours and Jeff's code/input. As I gain experience with Lout, I'll try
to expand certain topics -- but it will be quite some time before
I have that level of expertise, sadly, so I'll have to rely on material
from you and Jeff.

> I think this is good.  When one works with something too long, there's
> a "perspective shift", so to say, or even a "tunnel vision".

Sure I agree here, you have so much knowledge of Lout that it
may be difficult to see problems from a beginner's perspective.
However, it is great that you do have this expertise -- so we can
call on it ;-).

> I've been actually contemplating (for quite some time) writing a
> walk-throgh for some standard lout packages (sort of what "TCP/IP
> Illustrated Vol.2" does for BSD TCP/IP stack).  If there's enough
> interest in that I'll try to commit some time to actually write it.

Hey, Uwe, "If there's enough interest"... :-) I can't see there being
anything
OTHER than a great deal of interest. However, my personal bias would be for
material which outlines the fundamental concepts that one must grasp in
order
to become proficient in Lout programming. With lots, and lots, and... of
examples.

Just my opinion ;-)

I hope my enthusiasm is not deflated by a total lack of
interest/response from other Lot users ;-).

Cheers

Graham