lout-users

Re: Index problems

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Index problems
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:16:57 +0400

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 19:31:08 +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> From: address@hidden

You use a *very* unfortunate email address.  When I see "webmaster@"
without a real name in the from field my first instinct is to just hit
'd' since the early warning spam identifcation filters in my mind
classify this as spam based on the from address alone.  I usually
notice the subject and then I 'u'ndelete it, but I'd not be surprised
if I inadvertedly lost a letter or two from you. ;)

Also, since you're not subscribed to the list, your messages are
diverted and end up in my inbox, not in my lout folder, so the
chances of false positive are very high.  And I have to forward them
to the list manually.

[Yes, I know I'm one to blame as well, since I should just write about
the "shadow" allow-postings list on the list page but somehow I always
forget.  I think I also should write to Yahoo, so that add relevant
link or text to their Lout group page, but I haven't heard from them
since I asked if they could add past archives].

> this evening another try:

I'm sorry I can't keep up with this.  Nothing helps to help people as
a small test case that exhibits the problem.  I can write a test case
from your description, but then it will turn out that there's a tiny
difference that I missed and I will be unable to reproduce a problem.
(or worse yet, uncover some other nasty problem ;).

So folks, please, take the trouble to provide a test case.  If it's
not that small - post it to the web and post only the URL to the list,
but few screenfuls are ok to post to the list directly.  Posting a PS
output from the test somewhere on the web (*surely* not to the list)
is also a good idea sometimes.  Then you'll just be able to say -
"look at that bogosity in the line 3 on page 2" - this will save you
quite some time explaining what you think is wrong.  A pciture is
worth a 1K words, as the saying goes.

Sorry, George, I don't want to sound harsh on you.  Pardon my using
this post of yours to remind people what would be the most productive
way to seek help (trust me on this, I do maintenance for a living, so
I speak from everyday experience of dealing with bug reports).

SY, Uwe