lout-users

Re: How to with latin2

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: How to with latin2
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:47:22 +0400

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 13:55:53 +0200, Radek Hnilica wrote:

> Sorry but you do not underestand me well.  This is not a solution.
> It is dirty and not transparent.

I'd say that this is way too sweeping a generalization.

> > You don't "replace" all fonts, you define new ones (latin2 do this for
> > you) and use those.
>
> I do not know the internals, I hope you have right with @SysInclude
> { latin2 } definning new CE fonts.  But what I need to all fonts are
> in latin2 and if I in a middle of document specify @F {some text in
> courier} I expect to some text be typeset in latin2 not in latin1.

Ok, you have just referred to the *SINGLE* instance of hardcoded font
family name (Courier) in all the 25kloc+ of standard lout packages.

> What I mean.  If I specify this document is in latin2 then this
> documents is all in latin2 and if I want to write part of it in
> latin1 I must such a part explicitly declare as latin1.

So you just go ahead and set @InitialFont to a latin2 font - that's
it.  What's so dirty and non-transparent about this?  If you don't
want Times and want Palatino, you'll have to change that option anyway
even for (by default) English documents.  This knob works for both
uses, why bother with yet another way to change the initial font when
the gain is quite dubious?

report setup has exactly *ONE* font family name to change (in
@InitialFont) and book setup has *THREE* (@InitialFont, @TitlePageFont
and @PartHeadingFont).

SY, Uwe