lout-users

Re: composite character

From: Athanasios Valais
Subject: Re: composite character
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:29:09 +1000

Hello Uwe,

I followed your suggestion and made the following changes:

Created a file called bchr8a+.afm, and added:

StartExtraCharMetrics
C -1 ; WX 305 ; N imacron ; B   34    0  261  487 ;
EndExtraCharMetrics
StartBuildComposites
CC imacron 2 ; PCC dotlessi 0 0 ; PCC macron 214 175 ;
EndBuildComposites

Added to latin2.ld:

{ @FontDef
  @Tag { CharterBT-Roman }
    @Family { CharterBT }
    @Face { Roman }
    @Name { CharterBT-Roman }
    @Metrics { bchr8a.afm }
    @ExtraMetrics { bchr8a+.afm }
    @Mapping { LtLatin2.LCM }
}

Added to LtLatin2.lcm:

031     037     imacron         UA i;           AC macron;

Within a text file added:

@SysInclude{latin2}

and

@Char{imacron}

But again an appropriate space is left but no character is printed.

For me, it would be very convenient to have a macro @Overstrike fuction, which
takes the following two characters, and possibly an optional x,y displacement,
and overprints them.

Cheers,

Arthur

At 05:56  16-04-02 +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 15:20:21 +1000, Athanasios Valais wrote:

> I would like to write the imacron with
> Lout. I read [& re-read] the expert manual
> to find the best way to overstrike the
> dotlessi and the macron, but in the end
> decided to create a composite in the AFM.
>
> I added the following lines into the
> correct locations of the AFM file:

Do you mean original AFM file?

Lout can produce composite glyphs from existing ones.  E.g. see the
"plus" metric files for Latin2 in $LOUTLIB/fonts.

SY, Uwe

http://www.fishtree.net/aesop.pdf