lout-users

Re: `EndFontMetrics missing' error

From: Reimer Behrends
Subject: Re: `EndFontMetrics missing' error
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:39:40 -0400

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 03:28:10PM +0100, Barrie Stott wrote:
[...]
> I have created omsegr.pfa from omsegr.pfb and it has the correct unix
> line endings. It sits in the same directory as my normal lout glyph
> files. I've checked the Fontlist type files and added both appropriate
> and inappropriate lines without any change in what lout reports. Lout
> just doesn't seem to be able to find the .pfa file. However, I have
> used TeX's testfont to print stuff out and ghostscript can find the
> glyphs without problem.

The quickest way to do it reliably is to do use

        @PrependGraphic { fontfile.pfa }

to embed the font in the PostScript file. (While there are other ways to
tell ghostscript/your printer/etc. how to get at the font, embedding
makes the PostScript file portable: for instance, you can easily feed it
to, say, createpdf.adobe.com without problems. Beware copyright problems
with some licensed fonts, though. Some foundries have rather restrictive
font licenses.)

Lout will complain -- rightfully -- that there should be %%BeginResource
and %%EndResource comments at the beginning and end of the file, but
it will work, anyway. If you want to do it cleanly, prepend

%%BeginResource: font <fontname>

to your .pfa file and append

%%EndResource

at the end. There are scripts to handle font embedding automatically
(instead of you having to use @PrependGraphic) such as "includeres",
which comes with the "psutils" package.

[...]

                        Reimer Behrends