lout-users

Re: footnote numbering problem

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: footnote numbering problem
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:29:27 +1000

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:51:09 +0200, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

  > Jeff Kingston a écrit :
  > >
  > > That is indeed what you get.  Your alternatives are to either redraft your
  > > content or else switch to @FootNoteThrough.
  > >
  > It's a bit astonishing: it could disturb the reader, couldn't it?

I suppose so.  I'm not sure what typography books suggest in this situation.

  > > It did for me, when I tested it just then.  I suggest you check that the
file
  > > you changed @FootNoteThrough in is really the one that you are including
in
  > > your run, that the value you changed it to was really Yes, that you
deleted
  > > the comment character at the start of the line, and that you reran the
  > > document twice to allow the new numbers to filter through the cross
  > > referencing system.
  > >
  > I don't understand: I carefully followed all these steps, I even deleted the
  > lout.li and <file>.ld files to start from scratch. I'm using the Debian
package
  > of Lout and all the file in the include directory are exactly the same as
those
  > provided in the source package on Sourceforge.
  > Could-it be due to a compilation option?
  >
  > When I have more time I'll try to understand this strange behavior.

As a last resort you could try cutting down your document to something small
that still manifests the problem, and posting it including all files included
by @Include (as opposed to @SysInclude).  But really I think you will find
that there is a little slip somewhere which has caused Lout not to be told
to use the @FootNoteThrough option.  If you get really desperate you could
try

    lout 'address@hidden' ...

which causes the value of @FootNoteThrough to be overridden after all the
include files are read.  That should at least convince you that there is
a working @FootNoteThrough behaviour out there, if you could only get it.

Jeff Kingston