lout-users

Several newbie questions

From: Martin Senft
Subject: Several newbie questions
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:07:10 +0100

Hello,

I have recently discovered Lout and like it a lot. However, there are
several areas where I would much appreciate an expert opinion and/or
help:

1) While I was able to created nested lists, I have not found a
built-in way to do sublists, where @NumberOf would return something
like "2a" instead of just "a" for the first inner list item. What
would be the best way to add this behaviour?

2) Somewhat similar to the sublist problem is a subfigure problem. I
would like to put several numbered subfigures with their own captions
inside a figure and be able to refer to them using @NumberOf and get
something like "1.1a".

3) Multipage figures that are not separated by enough nonfloating
material tend to interleave to fill available space. Is there a way
around this?

4) My LaTeX experience made me think that page numbers are supposed to
be inside margins. Is there an easy way to move page numbers from the
text area into margins?

5) I am somewhat confused that lists do not handle label size
automatically, when there are tables, that can do that. Would it be
possible to use similar mechanism for lists or is there something that
prevents this, like automatic numbering?

6) I like tbl package, but would like to emulate rules from booktabs
LaTeX package
("http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/booktabs/";).
I can imagine changing spacing and line widths to match \toprule,
\midrule and \bottomrule, but I have no idea how to do left/right side
shortening of \cmidline(lr)[]. Is there any way to make horizontal
rules a bit shorter on one or both sides?

7) I see several "search for gap preceding @VSpan failed, using zero"
error messages, but don't see anything wrong. What is this message
trying to tell me?

8) The diag package is great and I was able to do things that were
hard to do in tikz/pgf quite easily. However, I have not been able to
find a built-in way to colour edges. I have eventually hacked diag
package to add colour to edges, but I may have missed something.

Best regards,

Martin Senft