Re: LYNX-DEV Is Your Web Site A Secret?

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Is Your Web Site A Secret?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 00:10:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Rob Puller wrote:

> These people fall into the same category as telephone solicitors, baby
> rapers, murderers, and others described by Arlo Guthrie in "Alice's
> Restaurant", all of whom I feel should be dealt with in a severe
> right wing manner, despite my humanitarian leanings.

ROFL!!!! That is a hilarious song/ballad/whatever!

> Hell, I'll post Lynx's
> address to "many" search engines if that is desired; but, I thought that the
> "<META NAME= ... "> construct was supposed to allow the "SOFTBOTS" to do
> this for us.  Am I right/left/correct?

Well, yes and no.  The Meta tags don't actually get it published in any of
the directories.  They just control HOW it is indexed on some engines.  If
you wait long enough, they'll find it, but it's still faster to submit it
to them, and catalog sites like Lycos and New Rider's Official World Wide
Web Yellow Pages ONLY list those sites that register.  Check out Submit-It
(www.cubmit-it.com?) for a way to register with a large number of them.

If you read the submission info on vairous engines, they explain the meta
tags, how and what they index etc.  AltaVista indexes the keywords meta
tagand uses the description meta tag in place of the first few characters
on your page.  It also indexes ALT tags, but not comments.  I think most
of the engines index ALT's, and some even index comments, so if you want a
site to get lots of hits, put in the following HTML:

&lt;META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="sex, nude"&gt;
&lt;!-- sex nude --&gt;

This way your site will come up on a search for these words, but not have
them anywhere in the page.  Be sure to add other colorful inappropriate
words. ;)