Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 00:52:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Subir Grewal wrote:

> I can see the other browsers setting up better text modes.  For most
> of them all it would take is an option to turn the pesky "Unloaded
> image" icons off and replace them with the appropriate ALT.

... and ditch the plugins and the mail and news reader.  I never use
them in any browser (except news in Lynx) and they just hog space.
It's funny this should be mentioned.  This aft I ran into an
acquaintance in the subway who's working on a Java thing, one part of
which will be a web browser that in its raw state only displays text
and GIFs.  If you want JPEGs and tables, say, you could fold them in,
but the basic set-up will be fast and use relatively little memory.

Still, I think there will be a place for Lynx for quite a while to
come. :)

Bill
--
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | address@hidden | Caveat