Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

:       Note that if, in addition to including the current document's
:URL with the fragments in the OBJECT, you put BANNER around the OBJECT
:(and it technically needs a blocking element for what you're doing,
:anyway), it'll be fully what you want for clients (such as Lynx, EmacWWW,
:UdiWWW and Arena 8-) which support BANNER, and still work properly with
:*all* deployed clients.  Indeed, it would be a complex yet *perfect*
:example of how to set up "advanced features with graceful degradation"
:for any client!  And it should validate with the HTML Pro update.

I'd originally written the markup with OBJECT within BANNER.  I took it
out (as a test) when the original document wouldn't validate with Cougar.
I've put it back in since I decided to use the HTML Pro DTD anyway.  I
submitted the document to KGV but it failed to validate.  It took
exception to the anchors within OBJECT, which seemed surprising since one
of the biggest advantages of the OBJECT/FIG construction is the ability to
use full-fledged markup for alternative text.  I FIGured ;~) this is a
result of a typo in the DTD, I haven't had the chance to read the HTML Pro
DTD itself (and my DTD reading capabilities are limited), but if I do find
something I will mail Peter (who was kind enough to suggest I might want
to use the HTML Pro DTD for what I was doing).

I'm going to wait for the update andd then try validating the document
again.  I only took this project on since I don't want to see CANYU's page
"animated" with silly little gifs, which is what most of the other people
seemed to be doing.  Sorry if I'm turning Lynx-Dev into my HTML-trauma
support group.

address@hidden * PGP * Blue-Ribbon * Lynx 2.6 * address@hidden
You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.

;
;