Re: LYNX-DEV WRAPPING

From: Paul Gilmartin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV WRAPPING
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:18:06 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Foteos Macrides said:

> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:23:52 -0500 (EST)
>
> address@hidden (Phillip Helbig) wrote:
> >Another question: A text which is 80 characters wide and looks OK on a
> >terminal (or terminal emulation) with this width with something other
> >than LYNX annoyingly is wrapped at 79 characters when viewed with LYNX,
> >so that there is often a line of length 1 character.  Is there anyway I
> >can change this in one of the configuration files?
>
>       No.  Lynx reserves the right-most column of the screen for
> positioning the cursor without risk of invoking an unintended newline
> under any circumstances.

But isn't that exactly what's befalling Mr. Helbig?  He's getting newlines
that he surely didn't intend;  he's hardly consoled that Lynx elects to
deem them intended.

>       In general, you are unwise to use lines longer than 78 characters
> in documents intended for utilities that output to character cell terminals
> with typically 80x24 screens, or you will be at chronic risk of annoyance.
> :) :)

This has been an irritation to me, also, dealing with IBM mainframe text
files which, in the keypunch tradition, are padded to 80 columns with blanks.
Don't forget why character terminals are typically 80 columns wide.  :-)
I circumvented by setting my default Xterm to 81 columns.

I think it's a bug.

-- gil
;
;