Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:43:33 -0600 (CST)

Greetings. I'm not sure if this issue has been beaten to death here,
so let me know if it has.

It seems that people get the notion that Netscape is more than a browser
and also a validator - "if my pages work in Netscrape, they must be ok".
Too many of these same people don't know and don't care that this is
absolute BS.

As a result, a lot of broken HTML gets out there and really messes with
stricter browsers like, say, lynx. I just heard that Fote fixed the
unclosed <form> - YES! I run across these all the time... another
infamous is <a name="blah"> (no closing </a> or tag text), and various
combinations of markup in links. Example:

<ul>
</ul>

The first doesn't show up as the link, neither does the second one
(and the bullet is gone from now on, as well), the third one is OK,
as is the fourth. The fifth one hoses up but DOES select, and shows
some silly "* Howd" on the sixth line...

Imagine how I feel when I hit a page LINED with abuse like this...
Looks like a minefield. What do we (I) do? I know I send off my form-
letter with the list of validators - but these folks are usually in
the low 20% minority that send a flame in response (ie. ignorant)...

Can there be a policy of ignoring markup in links? After all, I
really do NOT care that some text ends up being bold or underlined
AS LONG AS I CAN JUMP LINKS...

Fote, can anything be done (easily) to fix this? I'd even take a
commandline switch... even the treat that it might core dump...

Take care.
;
;