Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Proxy Server setting

From: Martin Voges
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Proxy Server setting
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:45:21 +0200

On 16/11/96 <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>useing, so I use lynx. But what I want to ask you is
>dose/or will lynx support proxy servers. I would love to
>run lynx through my proxy server. Please Respond, this is a
>question I have wanted to ask for a while now. Jason

Jason
You can allow lynx to use proxy servers by editing the
lynx.cfg file, or by setting equivalent environment
variables.  The relevant part from lynx.cfg reads:

# lynx.cfg file.
# The default placement for this file is /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg
(UNIX)
#                                     or Lynx_Dir:lynx.cfg (VMS)
#
# Proxy variables
# Lynx version 2.2 and beyond supports the use of proxy servers that
can
# act as firewall gateways and caching servers.  They are preferable
# the older gateway servers.  Each protocol used by Lynx can be
mapped
# separately using PROTOCOL_proxy environment variables (see
INSTALLATION).
# If you have not set them externally, you can set them at run time
via
# this configuration file.  They will not override external settings.
# The no_proxy variable can be a comma-separated list of hosts which
should
# not be proxied, or an asterisk to override all proxy variables.
# Note that on VMS they are set as process logicals rather than
symbols,
# to preserve lowercasing, and will outlive the Lynx image.
#
#http_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
#https_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
#ftp_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/