Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:58:36 -0600 (CST)

You (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
> If someone however is really interested in investigating this further, perhaps
> there might be a way that rather than extending the WHEREIS code, the
> popup_options switch code in LYForms.c itself, where the various function
> keys are currently implemented, could be extended to do something similar
> to WHEREIS, but in it's own code, where if the / key is encountered, the
> next appropriate text entry is positioned by doing a sort of for loop,
> while not the end of the popup, search for the string (case insensitive
> is that option is selected in the options), and performing one isntance of
> the UP or DOWN LINK code for each entry - but holding off on the
> redraw invocation until the code is located.

Greeings. Good idea.. I'll have go at it (and everyone cries "Noooooo!" :-)

As for the lynx not being a file viewer, I do understand. I do think,
however, that there needs to be a realization here that people are
using HTML to inherently present information that not too long ago
would have been available via FTP and openable in your favorite
file viewer. The greatest change came when cgi tools interfaced to
databases... who would have imagined in Lynx V1.00 that a selection list
would have 610 lines? Or even 50?... Not many yet I find this all the time.
It's bad enough to have the 50 states of the USA in a box on a SLOOOOOWWWW
terminal... yuck.

Heck, I'd take a blind search... so the screen is not messed with - allow
"/" and then take everything between that and the enter as a search
pattern. I'm flexible :-)

Take care.
;
;