Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg VIEWER entry which crashes lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg VIEWER entry which crashes lynx
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:36:47 +0900 (JST)

> > > VIEWER:text/x-compressed:/home/.most/most %s
> > >
> > > should do, since the file that your VIEWER gets to see will have
> >
> > Doesn't work with either the -anonymous or -validate command-line
> > switches.  Piping is the only way I could figure out how to do it
>
> I couldn't find any place in the source where Lynx would look at the
> string that is defined as viewer command, and make a decision whether
> to allow it or not based on whether it is a unix pipe (with a '|') or

You are right; I was wrong.  But it depends on how the file is named:
xxx.arc or xxx.arc.gz.

The problem is that I was trying to be smart, but actually lynx is
smarter.  Originally in my own account, I had experimented with most,
and thought its ability to determine a file type without using the extension
was neat.  So I renamed compressed files xxx.arc, and had lynx (which had
no idea these were compressed files) pass them to most without decompressing
them.  In the captive account, this didn't work because most doesn't have
permission to call gzip, so it couldn't decompress the file.  By naming
the file correctly, i.e., putting on the proper extension .gz, the problem
was solved.  I incorrectly assumed that putting in the pipe was what was
solving the problem.  Not at all; it was because lynx was calling gzip and
then passing the decompressed file to most.  Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I do have another question, and that is why do I have to make a `fake'
(= .arc) SUFFIX in lynx.cfg or entry in .mime.types.  I've tried various
ways of configuring .txt.gz to be read by most, never by lynx, but lynx
always reads a file named .txt.  I would like to configure lynx to pass all
text/plain files to most.  (I agree that 3 seconds is not instantaneous,
so I changed it to fast.  But with the hardware I have lynx is a real snail
when it comes to large files, so it seemed instantaneous to me.)

__Henry
;
;