Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 04:20:59 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Kapil H. Paranjape wrote:

> I am using Lynx version 2.6 and have the following problem/query.
> Lynx displays text/html files which are gzip correctly but does not do
> the same for files that need to be pass to an external viewer (for
> example a file something.html.gz is displayed but a file test.xbm.gz
> is not passed to an external viewer). Is this a bug or does something
> need to be enabled in the Lynx configuration?

Henry has already replied to this; I just add that you didn't
decribe the problem very well.  You could be talking about files
retrieved from http: URLs.  In that case what Lynx does will also
depend on whether the server is sending the right Content-Encoding
and Content-Type headers.  You can test that (in most cases) with
Lynx's ']' HEAD command.

For the specific case of your example suffix .xbm, it already has a
default mapping in the source code, src/HTInit.c, from the following
line:
    HTSetSuffix(".xbm",         "image/x-xbitmap", "binary", 1.0);

However, this is inconsistent with the documentation in the distributed
lynx.cfg, which has

#SUFFIX:.xbm:image/x-xbm

and

#VIEWER:image/x-xbm:xv %s&:XWINDOWS

(It is also inconsistent with
  HTSetPresentation("image/x-xbm",      XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND, 1.0, 3.0, 0.0, 0);
in src/HTInit.c.)

This may or may not have to do something with what you observe.

What *does* happen when you access such a file or URL?

  Klaus

;
;