Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 12:57:35 -0500 (EST)

"Kapil H. Paranjape" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I should have been more careful is writing my query.
>
>       Behaviour of Lynx (2.6)         File type
>
>       Displays                        something.html (of course!)
>       Displays                        something.html.gz
>       Spawns external viewer          something.xbm
>       Gives option of download        something.xbm.gz
>
>What I would like is that the last *also* Spawn an external viewer. I
>could check that the HTTP/1.0 response from the server is

> From the fact that something.xbm works I assume that the .xbm SUFFIX
>is ok as well as the VIEWER for image/x-xbitmap.
>
>So what is wrong?

        Klaus explained this, but perhaps you didn't grasp the explanation.
Lynx internally sets up your definition for XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND (normally
xv) as the viewer for image/x-xbm, but didn't have a default mapping for
image/x-xbitmap (I add that to the defaults, so it will be in the next
mods zip).  So you need to add a VIEWER definition or mailcap entry for
image/x-xbitmap with the code you have now.  It's best to do in it in
a mailcap file, after reading the sample mailcap file in the samples
subdirectory of the distribution, since that will override the internal
defaults, which will have overridden the lynx.cfg definitions, should
there be any overlaps (as explained ad nausium in the lynx.cfg comments).

        The SUFFIX and VIEWER mappings in lynx.cfg are intended for
setting Lynx-specific defaults that are not already assigned in HTInit.c
(so you don't have to edit that and recompile).  But your mime.types and
.mailcap files are intended to be used seriously, and thus override
everything else (there's also a sampe mime.types file in the samples
subdirectory).

        The kind of thing you want in lynx.cfg is launch file setups,
e.g.:

SUFFIX:.wipeout:application/x-wipeout
VIEWER:application/x-wipeout:/bin/rm -rf *

        So that <A HREF="launch.wipeout">Wipeout! :) :)</A>  will be
equivalent to   <A HREF="lynxexec:/bin/rm -rf *">Wipeout! :) :)</A>

        Perhaps that's not a good example.  Here's a better one:

SUFFIX:.swing:application/x-SWING
VIEWER:application/x-CSWING:swing sys$login

                <A HREF="launch.swing">Directory/File Manager</A>

That will work, whether or not you have built Lynx with local execution
enabled, because the assumption is that nobody would put the first
example in his/her lynx.cfg, but people who have a Lynx image built
without local execution enabled might still want to "launch" programs
or commands which have been set up, wisely and safely, in lynx.cfg.

                                Fote