Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info

From: root
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:35:19 -0500 (EST)

Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> Should something be added to the README or RELEASE_STATEMENT files pointing
> to about_lynx/COPYING when referring to the license?
>
> Also, I notice the following in the COPYING file.  Notice the comment
> about "[i]f the program is interactive...".  Should we a) add the
> appropriate parts of the General Public license be added to lynx_help and
> then the paragraph in question added to lynx to display on startup?  Perhaps
> with an option to turn it off that a user has to set in their lynxrc file?

[...]
> If the program is interactive, make it output a short notice like this
> when it starts in an interactive mode:
>
>     Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) 19yy name of author
>     Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
>     This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>     under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.
>
> The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate
> parts of the General Public License.  Of course, the commands you use may
> be called something other than `show w' and `show c'; they could even be
> mouse-clicks or menu items--whatever suits your program.

Perhaps we should have it goto a HTMLerised version of the GPL (NOT via a
http, but included in about_lynx/ for those who do not have access to
whatever host it is on) when it finds no .lynxrc in the user's ~?  That way,
we can be shure that every user will see the GPL without having it be to
annoying.  Also, that page could have a "quick start"ish section at the top,
so that we can give users basic instruction right off the bat.

        --- James Mastros
;
;