Re: LYNX-DEV lynx 2.7 signature file processing modification

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx 2.7 signature file processing modification
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:31:14 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> The following adds a line before the signature is read in.
> This line is used by some software packages to identify the beginning of
> the signature.
>
> I honestly can't point anyone to an RFC regarding it - however, I know that
> most if not all email packages and the several news reading packages I
> know of add the line before the signatures.  I recommend that we
> add it.

I agree that it should be added.  It is not in any RFC (AKAIK), but is
described in the "son-of-RFC1036" draft (which never became an Internet
Draft, but is followed nevertheless by some news implementers).

However, your changes of the type:

> +             fputs("\n-- \n", fd);

actually would add two lines, an empty line and then the delimiter line --
at least in the case that the preceding last line was already properly
terminated with a '\n' (can that always be assumed ??? I don't know.)

So the first '\n' should probably go away - or even better, first check
whether the char before that is already '\n'...

   Klaus

;
;