Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:31:28 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > One major goal for me is to have at least a Win32 version integrated into
> > the mainstream code and hopefully a semi-functional DJGPP version as well.
>
> Not just you.  This is an admirable goal, and for lynx-dev to pass up this
> opportunity would be a tragedy.  How about it?  Is there any reason Wayne
> shouldn't put up his portable-to-Win32 lynx2.7+bugfixes (to answer your
> question of the other day), and call it 2.8?  If Klaus and Rob should be
> inclined they could offer replacement file sets to that 2.8.  Whereever
> they overlap, there's enough of us out here who could patch it together.

When I can scrape together the $50 to buy Borland C++ 4.51, I'd like to
see about getting the Win32 version working in some shape or form under
Win 3.1...

> Hiram, while spare time is nonexistent, has the judgement capabilities
> and programming skills to coordinate and integrate.  But we want him to
> graduate cum laude above all things.

<blush> Well, might as well forget cum laude (grin).  I have about a 3.2,
and am close enough to graduating (hopefully Dec. 97...) that not much
will change that.  I'd love to do more work on lynx, but unlike Fote, I'm
not willing to devote EVERY second of my free time to working on Lynx
(hey, I have to have time to DREAM about having a social life... chuckle).
I still haven't managed to get the official release of 2.7 compiled yet,
or download the Win32 or DJGPP version to try it out... sigh...

One project that I've been meaning to do is to convert the filenames to
the 8.3 convention (at least in the WWWLib) to make the job of integrating
WWWLib 5 into the code a little easier.  Has Mr. Dickey (sorry, brain
isn't working, and I can't remember your first name) taken a look at the
autoconfigure script for WWWLib 5 and see if anything can be done to it to
remove its dependence on GNU Make?

Well, enough ramblings from the insane asylum for now... ;)