Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:54:45 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
>
> > When I can scrape together the $50 to buy Borland C++ 4.51, I'd like to
> > see about getting the Win32 version working in some shape or form under
> > Win 3.1...
> >

> I see two problems there...  That is the first platform that is NOT based
> on a standard text screen.  I don't know how that will effect the project
> or the result.  Also, aren't 16 bit Windows integers 16 bit and all 32 bit
> code's integers 32 bit?  That is a bummer.

I'm not sure about sizes and such.  I don't really see why the sizeof(int)
will affect things.  The screen thing could be a bigger problem, but
Borland does provide a means of running programs not written to use the
Windows interface in a pseudo-console.  My thinking is that with some
emulation of the curses calls, some emulation of the socket calls to
winsock calls, and a few menu items to provide for a little customization,
and you could have something like the Win version of MicroEmacs which
works just like the unix versions, but allows menus to send key shortcuts
to get at certain features.

> > I have Borland C++ 3.0 for DOS, but not gcc for DOS.
>
> There isn't a way to get or simulate a flat memory model with BC++ 3.X
> afaik and it won't compile any src file much bigger than 64k.  Kind of
> limiting.  I would still love to find ways to fake a flat memory model on
> 8086's using disk swap for my bobcat project.  Thinking about it seems to
> give me a brain cramp.

hehe... Those brian cramps can be bad for you.  I really haven't looked at
this.  I thought it might be interesting to try it since Fote slimmed down
one of the worst offenders as far as size is concerned.  I've also looked
at some of the other DOS extenders, and I think that some of them will
work with Borland, but haven't actually tried...