LYNX-DEV empty messages

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV empty messages
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 06:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

970419 i wrote:
>   it seems like  2 or 3 times a week  we get empty messages of this type.
>   is there something in Lynx documentation which needs tightening up?
--- snip ---
970420 Al Gilman wrote:
> [Floodgate warning]
--- dykes holding --- lots of water diverted ---
> Actually, let me offer one other incremental step:  If you can
> come up with some good coaching/warning language I will install
> a buffer page containing that advice between the links on the
> home page and the actual mailto: URL.

sorry to be slow, but is this in  lynx.browser.org ?
-- i want to look at what's there, pretending to be a complete novice.

> The basic plot is  "the following information will help us
> help you: ... In any case, if you've tried to find/follow the
> instructions and you are stumped, do write."
>
> There is a whole diagnostic guide to be written, if anybody has
> pedagogical urges.  Subir's "Found a bug?" is just the beginning.

i agree with most of your flood of words,
but there are certainly ways of improving information for beginners;
as you say, they are a sign Lynx is spreading.

straight off, can't we do better than the opening screen
which greets the total beginner who hits  h  to find out
what the hell this Lynx thing he's been given access to can do for him?

the present opening paragraphs are surely aimed at his sysadmin,
if he's wondering whether to install Lynx; as general help, it's hopeless!
i'll see if i can compose some welcoming words for people
who really are starting out exploring the World of Lynx.
the present screen should be moved down somewhere into a new section.

one thing which should be right there on screen 1 -- but isn't --
is a link to  lynx.browser.org , with an appropriate suggestion
to check out whether you've got the latest version.
i know it won't help people with 2-4-2, but it will help those
still using 2-7-1 when 3-0 has emerged.

;