Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:22:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Wow, am I glad I'm no longer the de-facto coordinator, nor even
> an active developer, so I can just do mods and enhancements properly in
> my personal code that I personally use, and make it available to others,
> in compliance with the GNU GPL, but expecting them to bring human
> intellingence to it's use (instead of my needing to keep debating about
> whether Lynx should cater to mindless robots :) :):) :) :) :) :) :) :)
> :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well I'm a curious guy.  If there's something for the robots, I wanna
know about it so I can poke around.  Can't have those robots talking
behind our backs, can we?  You never know what may come out.

Others may have different ideas.

Anyway, that doesn't seem to apply to the search result page which started
this.  Maybe you have an idea how to tell the difference.  So that Lynx
can automatically decide, when encountering such a link, whether it is one
of the MANY MANY cases where authors have diligently tuned their pages to
show only meaningful links to lynx users, or one of the EXCEPTIONALLY RARE
cases with invalid HTML...

BTW, Those robots must have upgraded their browsers, since Microsoft is
providing TARGET="_top" on all those "invisible" anchors.

  Klaus

;
;