Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 14:46:12 -0400 (EDT)

  From: address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal))

  Laura Eaves <address@hidden> writes:

  >First case: If the content of an anchor is an img with alt="", why not
  >treat that as no alt at all?  (Print the [LINK] string.)  Since the img
  >is there, the link is obviously intended to be visible (even if the author
  >doesn't care about text-only browsers).

  No, Please! I USE this ability to display things that are visible to GUI

Please don't raise your voice.  If we are going to teach the WAI how
to do this, we need to practice lots of listening.

How does this difference in preferences relate to the optional ability
to hide [ISMAP] when all you want is to navigate or show it if
you want to access every last HREF on the page?  I think that what
Klaus did [in the beginning -- I don't think we want more than one
switch] is very close to what is needed to meet your needs and Laura's
with one configurable tool.

Laura: for your next trick, you might want to look at the
l)ist-links page.  I don't really know, but I suspect that if it
listed all clickables (all places where the Lynx cursor might
come to rest) on a page including form input fields, that that
might be a summary presentation that the blind would find
enhanced relative to the present l)ist page and downright handy.
Or some related abstract format including line-before-clickable,
line-containing-clickable, and line-after-clickable
with a whitespace line or ... on a line between each of these
out-takes.

--
Al Gilman
;