Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx on www.microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:49:50 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 18:36:38 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>> Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >Unfortunatly, using LIST all you get is a list of URLs, and you can't tell
>> >which ones were visible on the original page.
>>
>>      That was a residual bug only in NUMBERS_AS_ARROW mode, which I
>> just fixed, and updated today's fotemods.zip update.
>
>It seems to occur in all 3 keypad modes.  However, now that I look at it again,
>I do notice that the "invisible links" appear as
>       * [123]url
>whereas the visible ones appear as
>       *
>         [123]url
>Is the highlightable text supposed to appear after the bullet?
>If so, there's a bug.
>If not, it would be a nice feature if it did.

        Since you refer to 3 keypad modes, I presume you are refering (sp?)
to the code with your own mods, which does not hide "hidden" links.  Since
they have no link name, if they're included in the 'l'ist menu their
addresses (URL, plus fragment if present) are used as the link name.  What
follows the bullet is a space.  The address has no spaces in it, so if it
would extend past the right margin, the wrap is triggered at the only space
on that first LI line, i.e., the one after the bullet.  Once that occurs,
there technically are no spaces (just the second-or-greater-line left
indentation), so you'll then get an arbitrary wrap at the right margin
within the address.  You could try replacing the space following the bullet
with an nbsp (in the code under case HTML_LI: in HTML_start_element() of
HTML.c, but that's very hairy code, so you should exercise such a mod for a
variety of list markup to be sure you didn't break something inadvertantly.

>> >As you  know, the bracketed numbers ALREADY APPEAR when link numbering
>> >is on, without any esoteric hacks.  This has nothing to do sith
>> >displaying [LINK] in the particular case I mentioned.
>>
>>      They don't in the fotemods code, unless the HText_endAnchor()
>> mods fail to track down the previously entered, numbered bracket for what
>> proved to be a content-less (intended to be hidden) link.  The failure
>> can happen, but is rare.
>
>So your mod erases the bracketed number but doesn't renumber the links.
>Then the user will see numbers being skipped, and will therefore know there's
>a link there somewhere...:).
>
>Anyway, this sounds like an "esoteric hack" to me...:)

        Thank you for sharing you mere guess (which is wrong) about what
the fotemods code does, and how your guess sounds to you.  I don't see,
though, what useful purpose is served by posting that to the list.  If
you detect a bug in the fotemods code when actually using it, and have
confirmed by checking the FOTEMODS file at slcc that you have the latest
update, please do report the bug.

                                Fote