Re: LYNX-DEV Reading Usenet?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Reading Usenet?
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:51:40 -0400 (EDT)

  From: address@hidden
  X-Personal_name: Roddy Ryans

  Hello.  I access lynx through modem connection to my college's
  VAX.  What I would
  like to know is if I can access Usenet news through lynx.  When I
  try it says:  Alert:Cannot access news, check WorldWide Newshost?
  and then says again cannot access news and returns me to where I was
  when I first tried to access Usenet.  Am I doing something wrong,
  or will I always be unable to access Usenet?  I tried using Zippo,
  but the message I get says I am forbidden to use it.

Hi, Roddy.

It sounds as though the problems you are having involve the way the
news host at your college is administered as much as what Lynx can
do for you.

If trying to read News with Zippo yields a "forbidden" error message
it sounds as though the login you get with your modem connection is
not endowed with the necessary access permissions to use the News
service.  This is probably an administration bug, not a policy.  But
if it is true, no amount of Lynx administration by you or the system
administrator will fix it.

To use News from Lynx it does take some installation.  As always,
read the User's Guide and lynx.cfg comments on this topic.  On the
other hand, I suggest you start with the references in

http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/

where it talks about News, and particularly the "getting started"
reference.

Your best path to solving this problem is to get you, the person
at your college that administers News and the person that
administers the Lynx installation in communication to get it
working.

Good luck!

--
Al Gilman