Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I'm not sure what you mean by "it".  I'm the one who trashed
> Scott's /dev/null trying out the spoofing LYNXDOWNLOAD: URL running
> Lynx from a non-privileged account.  Are you saying that an
>    fd = fopen("/dev/null", "w"); fclose(fd); remove("/dev/null");
> sequence doing that, if that's it (haven't tried it explicitly :),
> is normal on Unix, and if not, how did I do it?

The following as root will trash /dev/null

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  FILE *fd;
  fd = fopen("/dev/null", "w"); fclose(fd); remove("/dev/null");
}

It will also trash /dev/null (on linux) as root su'd to a normal user.  If
the system you are on gives normal users write access to that file then
that also may open it up for trashing.

Wayne

;
;