Re: LYNX-DEV Can't compile latest lynx on linux

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Can't compile latest lynx on linux
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 05:45:47 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Mark F. Molinari wrote:
> > A make of lynx2-7-1ac-0.34.tar.gz will not complete successfully under
> > linux 2.0.30 using gcc 2.7.2.  A_NORMAL is undeclared in LYCurses.c.  I
> > greped through all the header files, and could not find it.  Please tell
> > me what I'm doing wrong, if anything.  I've attached the output of the
> > make.
>
> If possible you should use the ./configure script included with this code
> set.  However, this is currently not yet documented at all (at least in
> INSTALLATION, where you might have looked).  Try ./configure --help,
> you may want to specify at least `--with-screen=...' (and possibly
> `--with-color-style=ncurses' together with `--with-screen=ncurses' if you
> want to try the alpha color-style code.  Other combinations of
> `--with-color-style' probably won't work.)
right - A_NORMAL is defined in ncurses (SVr4 curses) but not in the bsd 4.4
curses which is often installed on Linux.

The current version of ncurses is 4.1
There's an faq at
        http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

> Without running ./configure before running make, the old-style `Makefile's
> still included will be used; after running ./configure, `makefile's
> generated from `makefile.in's will be used.
>
> If you insist on using the old-style `Makefile's, you may still be
> able to compile if you use linux-ncurses as a target, and have ncurses
> installed.  Maybe.  Or if you modify the top-level Makefile to take
> $(RP_LYDEFS) and $(RP_DEFS) out of the `SITE_LYDEFS =' and `SITE_DEFS ='
> lines.  (Probably some other stuff, too.)
At this stage, I'm only using the original 'Makefile' for testing purposes.
If someone wants to test, that's fine with me, but the configure script has
been pretty stable/workable (I'll check to see if there's any new problems
in #34, but don't know why there should be).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden