Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Re: extended "show color" choice

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Re: extended "show color" choice
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:37:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Sergent wrote:
>
> > That's why I think it needs to be two separate options, one to force
> > color on when it's normally off (you're not a dentist but the patient
> > wants a root canal, to paraphrase Hiram),
>
> My analogy comes back to haunt me... :)  Anyway, this would have to be a
> for Slang only option.  Ncurses/SysV/etc. does not have any idea how to
> proceed in this case.  Slang really doesn't either, but it tries ANSI
> color codes and trusts you to know whether they work or not. :)

"So you want a root canal.  Well I really cannot give you one.  But if
you really insist, you can get something: a message stating that you
cannot get a root canal now.
  As a courtesy I am also keeping a waiting list for people like you.
The next time you come in, my colleague (the esteemed DR. SLANG) may
be here, and you will be able to talk to him immediately.  (You know,
he isn't a real dentist either, but he has a book...)"

> > and one to force color off
> > when it's normally on (you're a dentist but the patient doesn't _want_
> > a root canal),
>
> This case is definitely a shortcoming in the development code which is
> what Fote was saying when he mentioned my previous comments.

I am confused.  Without quoting, I don't know which messages you are
referring to.  (I may have lost some mail?)

> > and only one of those options should be available from
> > the options screen at a given time.
>
> That's an interesting idea...

Fote has implemented the 4-way choice, essentially as I suggested it,
or at least as I intended it, for slang.  (So I am glad to see it was
not totally unclear to all :) .)  I also have implemented it, but for
slang and color-curses [including the stuff in quotes above :)], and
am comparing my code with Fote's and trying to align it a bit.
(My code is more messy and should get some cleanup later, but then the
logic used in the slang code and in the curses code for setting up
color is different; I am not really trying to unify those, just make
them do what I want.)

Anyway, I'll put in in the next development code checkin (probably
tonight, should be 2.7.1ac-0.42).  Please test, if you can, how it
behaves in the different scenarios you are interested in, and whether
it makes sense.  That's probably easier than trying to argue about it
just theoretically :)

  Klaus

;
;