Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Forms in Lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Forms in Lynx
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:48:42 +0100 (BST)

> Gregory Resch <address@hidden> wrote to me and lynx-dev:
> >
> >Why the (only) reply had come from some stranger and not from lynx-dev, I
> >have no idea. But I'd think that smart people would know how to interpret
> >lynx-dev addressing and delivery processes better than I.

If you want a reply from lynx-dev, you'll have a very long wait.  lynx-dev
is no more than the collection of strangers that make it up, those strangers
including the developers.  I believe Phillip Webb is one of the developers;
if he referred you to the archive without posting to the list, it was
probably because this is a frequently asked question.

Nothing should ever have a From: address of lynx-dev, although the envelope
sender address will be similar, but replying to it may well get you removed
from the list as it is basically there as a trap for undeliverable mail
reports.

lynx-dev isn't like the support department of a commercial supplier.  It's
possibly worth noting that for some Microsoft products, you would get
charged $150 for the equivalent of your question sent to their support
people, but there would be very little chance of a reply from anyone in
Microsoft if you posted to msnews.microsoft.com.  With the MS newsgroups,
the stranger who replies is likely not to know much more than you; with
lynx-dev, the stranger that replies is very likely to be a developer, or
at least to have some familiarity with the source code, which is even
better than the first line support from Microsoft's $150 service.
;
;