Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:53:08 -0500 (EST)

Barry Rountree <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>2)  As HTML authors, if JS was suddenly and magically available in lynx,
>what classes of commands would you use?

        We need to handle the OnClick, etc., attributes in HTML 4.0
(link to the draft is in the online 'h'elp).  The attribute names
are mouse-oriented, but what's intended doesn't require mouse support,
and will be needed for Lynx with any terminal/emulator.

>3)  [Flame here]  Does lynx really need JS anyway?
>
>Not that I'm going to give up and get another Theater degree if everyone
>answers "NO", but I have been giving some serious thought to this.  My
>interpreter has a footprint of 60KB compared to a 3MB build of lynx.
>That's 2% of the total size, and the interpreter will have to grow a lot
>more before it's useful.  Now, how many *useful* websites actually use it?
>How many lynx users even see a website with JS?

        The answer is "YES", IMHO, or HTML 4.0 will put many forms out
of reach for Lynx, even when "only text stuff" needs to be done.  I.e.,
we'll have of homolog of the TABLE problems.

                                Fote