Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:24:22 -0600

Barry,

You said to reply privately, but I think that what I want to mention, at least,
is of sifficient public intrest to do so here. The single best use of
JavaScript that I have encountered so far is the ability to sanity check
a for before submission. For instance, I have a page that takes certain
information for application for a user account, and it has JS code to let me
sanity check the email address (too many of our faculty think that the
user name used by our college email system [groupwise] is an email address
because that is all that they have to use for sending email to other users
on the system, so my script checks for an '@' and if not present, appends
"@slcc.edu" to the given user name.) I have another page that allows entry
of information to create a password protected area, and this form has two
fields where the password is entered and forces them to match before going
on to other fields.

To handle this type of checking, we would need the event functions like
onSelect(), onChange(), onBlur(), etc., and would need string compare and
some text/character manipulation. Numeric comparison/manipulation would likely
be highly valuable too. (Barry, I can send you copies of these pages with their
scripts if it would help you, but I am not going to post them here.)

Despite all the fancy graphical stuff I've seen done with JS, and all the
cute wizbang stuff it is touted for, this ability to sanity check form input
is far and away the most valuable feature I have found for JS.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,